Free e-book (Recommended – 8 Short Stories) available in epub, mobi, rtf, lrf, pdb, and txt formats at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/426445
Free Individual Stories below.
- PDF - In Get a Grip, a young engineer is assigned to an experienced engineering team responsible for developing critical automation in the manufacture of smart phones. She travels internationally with the team, generates concepts, and helps the team struggle through difficult setbacks and technical problems.
- PDF Online - In The Orbital Mechanic, a solar flare knocks a space probe off course endangering a billion dollar mission. A simple timely solution comes just in time from an unlikely source to save the spacecraft. In this story, learn how engineers use science, math and physics to get spaceships from Earth out to distant planets.
- PDF - In My Journey to Engineering, the author recalls life’s experiences from childhood on up that likely led to an interest and career in engineering. “We have to watch him constantly… He takes things apart and puts them back together, turns knobs and pushes buttons, and mimics the other kids…” Such was my mothers account of my first years.
- PDF - In Foot Notes, an engineer is faced with the daunting task of inventing a cost-effective foot scanner in a short amount of time, driven to search for and consider possible solutions, taking clues from the near and far, the past and present, the people and objects all around. After much effort, new achievable techniques emerge.
- PDF - In Quick Step, an engineering team is required to create a way to make custom arch supports (orthotics) in 30 minutes. They face hurdle after hurdle as they try to find an answer to a fundamental friction problem. After much frustration, determination and creativity, they stumble onto a different yet elegant approach.
- PDF - In Speed Reader, two engineers have been working hard for weeks to prepare for and demonstrate the capability of their design. On the Friday of their last week of testing, the customer is not satisfied, launching the engineers into a last-minute creative mode to find a quick and reliable solution, and to save their weekend plans.
- PDF - In Cutting Edge, an engineering product development team creates an automated synthetic-diamond cleaning (blasting) machine. They deal with customer needs, develop specifications, brainstorm solutions, evaluate options, struggle through problems, and experience the pain and the thrill of success.
- PDF - In The Ribbon Cutting, three engineers work to create a complex system; a cutting machine with a blade that automatically morphs into shapes needed for unique products. Their specific talents unite as ideas and solutions are found all around them, in their hobbies, in other machines, in books and online.
(More Stories coming soon)